lightest material on earth created / metallic microlattice

this just in. scientists have developed the lightest material in the world, microlattice, holding a density of just 0.9 mg/cm3, the material is around 100 times lighter than Styrofoam.

The new material draws parallels with large structures, such as the Eiffel Tower, which is incredibly light and weight-efficient thanks to its hierarchical lattice design. As an illustration of just how efficient such a design is, if the 7,300 tonnes of metal used in the Eiffel Tower were melted down it would fill just six centimeters (2.4 in) of the structure’s 125 m2 (1,345 square ft) base.

how so light? the catch is that the material is 99.99% open volume, while the remaining 0.01%  of the material that isn’t air consists of interconnected hollow nickel-phosphorous tubes with a wall thickness of 100 nanometers.

the use for this new material could be found in battery electrodes, catalyst supports, and acoustic, vibration or shock energy damping.

via gizmag

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s